Sunday, September 13, 2009


I was planning on posting all these pictures with more details on labor/delivery earlier but having a newborn with a two-year-old is a little time consuming :).

Here's the story:

My right foot swelled Wednesday night (Sept. 2nd) and I didn't think too much about it because it had happened a couple times prior and it always returned back to a normal size by morning. But this time it didn't go down. My foot continued to swell and by Thursday evening I become more concerned. Swelling in both feet during pregnancy is pretty common but when it's only in one leg they worry about blood clots.
Eric and I were trying to decide whether I should go to the emergency room to get it checked out but I really didn't want to have to wait in the emergency room for hours because I had an appointment the next morning.
Fortunately the contractions I had been having all day started to become more consistent and painful. I had been having a lot of false labor so normally would have done what I usually did...wait it out. But because I was dilated to a 3-4 my last appointment and I had a swollen foot we went ahead and went to the hospital around 10:30. When we got there they hooked me up to the monitor and sure enough I continued to contract frequently and when they checked me; I was dilated to a five. So they kept me there and got me all ready to go. I got an epidural right away. And from there everything went great. I pushed for about 10 minutes and she was here. (I had to push twice as long with her than with Ryan) I don't know how anyone can push any longer than that...I was exhausted!!

Soon after having Sarah I had an ultra sound on my leg and everything looked fine. No blood clots.

Here is Sarah right after she was born




Going home.

Ryan was not quite sure what to think about this other little person being in the car, coming home with us. As you can see, he did not want his picture taken.

1 comment:

Tara said...

She is beautiful. I love the pictures taken of her. Looks like you will have your hands full for awhile:) Oh, and don't you just love those weird things that happen when your pregnant..the foot?

Ryan"s Photo Gallery